The Parish Church of St. Mary’s, Storrington
Safeguarding Statement and Policy
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of humankind in God’s own image and likeness.
Christians see this as fulfilled by God’s recreation of us in Christ.
Among other things this implies a duty to value all people as having the Holy Spirit within them and therefore to protect them from harm.
We are committed to:-
- The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults, care and nurture of the children within our church community,
- The care, nurture, and respectful pastoral ministry with, children, young people and adults,
- The establishing of a safe, caring community which provides a loving environment where there is a culture of vigilance as to the dangers of abuse.
- We will respond without delay to every complaint made which suggests that a child, young person or adult may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
- We will carefully select and train all those with any responsibility within our church in line with safer recruitment principles, including the use of criminal records disclosure and registration with the relevant vetting and barring schemes.
- We will seek to work with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them an appropriate ministry of informed pastoral care.
- We will seek to challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to proper authorities, of any member of our church community know to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
- We will follow statute, guidance and recognize good practice.
Parish Safeguarding Contacts
Parish safeguarding Rep and Lead Recruiter: Jackie Lee – 01903 743661
Parish Second Recruiter (and Churchwarden): Barbara Buchanan - 01903 741916
Rector – Kathryn Winslow – 01903 742888
- If you are a child and you need to talk to someone about things that are happening to you that you don’t like, please click on this link which takes you the Childline website, or telephone Childline on 0800 1111
- If you are an adult and you need to access support about something that is happening to you, please click on this link to find out how you can do that. Scroll down to find links to various support organisations for you to contact. https://safeguarding.chichester.anglican.org/Ihavebeenabused/
- If you need to contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Team, please click on this link. https://safeguarding.chichester.anglican.org/contacttheteam/
- If you need to report a safeguarding concern to the statutory authorities in Sussex, please click on this link, click on the option on the left that most describes the situation you are concerned about, and follow the advice and further links you find there. Please remember to contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Team as well once you have contacted the statutory authorities. https://safeguarding.chichester.anglican.org/whatdoidoif/
Further information is on the noticeboard at the back of church.