The Parish Church of St Mary has, through the centuries, undergone many changes. Each generation has altered the appearance of the building according to its needs. The church we see today is a record of the community that has worshipped here for a thousand years or more.
The church is built on a prominent sandstone mound that we might speculate was the site of pre-Christian worship. The name of the village is of Saxon origin (probably meaning "Stork-place"), so it is likely that there was a Saxon church here; there was certainly a Norman church, mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086), part of which is incorporated in the present building. The church has been enlarged over the centuries to accomodate the growing community of Storrington, the last major rebuilding being carried out in 1873 and 1876. The Victorian north porch was extended in 2007 to provide modern facilities and a boiler room for the new heating system.
Visitors to the church will find a leaflet giving detailed information about the building. There is also a leaflet by Florence Greenfield about some of the people who are commemorated by the memorials and stained glass windows.
There is a list of the Rectors of Storrington (as far as they are known) displayed in the north aisle.